The Church of Santa Maria dei Derelitti, known as Ospedaletto, or little hospital, was built in 1575 in an area occupied since 1528 by a hospital for the poor, ill, disabled and orphaned. Probably built following an plan by Palladio, the church was given its facade by Longhena and enriched during the 17th and 18th centuries with works of art given by benefactors of the hospital. There are works by Tiepolo, C. Loth and P. Liberi.
The Ospedaletto was famous for the musical tradition of the choir of the young orphans educated by famous masters.
This musical tradition lives again in the many concerts which are now organised in this space.
Ruskin; The most monstrous example of the Grotesque renaissance which there is in Venice; the sculptures on its façade representing masses of diseased figures and swollen fruit.
It is almost worth devoting an hour to the successive examination of five buildings, as illustrative of the last degradation of the Renaissance. San Moise is the most clumsy, Santa Maria Zobenigo the most impious, St. Eustachio the most ridiculous, the Ospedaletto the most monstrous, and the head at Santa Maria Formosa the most foul..
This is the church with the huge green dome which greets visitors arriving in Venice by train as it is opposite the railway station. Recently restored. The official website is only in Italian and plays music.
The church of Santa Maria della Presentazione, also known as Zitelle, was erected between 1581 and 1588. Andrea Palladio has been attributed as the architect which seems stylistically correct although there is no longer any documentation to support this.
Inside there are paintings by L. Bassano, J. Palma il Giovane, Aliense, P. Ricci, as well as sculptures by di J. Sansovino e S. M. Morlaiter.