Skip to Content


Home > Culture > Churches

Churches

Map

Links

> >|

Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari

ww.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(1 votes)
After the Basilica of St. Mark's, the Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari is the most remarkable ecclesiastical complex in Venice, as well as being one of the most important Franciscan foundations in Italy. Originally built between 1236 and 1338 by the Franciscan Conventual Friars, the structure was thoroughly re-modelled in the 14th century and given its present more grandiose form of central nave, two side aisles and seven apsidal chapels after Franciscan-Gothic designs. Over the centuries the basilica has become a veritable treasure-chest of exceptional works of art.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Saint Mark's Basilica

www.basilicasanmarco.it

Rating:
(1 votes)
Excellent site in English and Italian giving a history of the Basilica as well as panoramic views, e-postcards and information about up-coming events.

It is free to enter the Basilica - although there are often long queues in busy periods. To avoid the queue you can book online - it costs 1 Euro and is available between 1st April and 31st October. The same link enables you to book guided tours.

There is a charge to enter the Treasury, a charge to see the Pala d'Oro and a charge and climb up to the balcony overlooking Saint Mark's Square.

Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of the Angel Raphael (Miss Garnet's Angel)

www.churchesofvenice.co.uk

Rating:
(0 votes)
The Church of Angelo Raffaele is well-known to readers of Miss Garnet's Angel by Salley Vickers. The church is located in Dorsoduro near Santa Marta.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Basilica of San Stae

www.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
San Stae, an abbreviation for Saint Eustachius, was founded at the beginning of 11th century and reconstructed in 17th century, has a main facade (1709) on the Grand Canal of Venice, constructed by Domenico Rossi, and richly decorated with statuary by Giuseppe Torretto, Antonio Tarsia, Pietro Baratta, and Antonio Corradini.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of Gesuati

ww.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
The Church of Santa Maria del Rosario, known locally as the Gesuati, the biggest conventual complex of eighteenth century Venice, was built between 1726 and 1735 for the Dominicans, to take the place of the small church, still existing alongside, that had become too small for the faithful.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of San Giacomo dall'Orio

www.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
Founded in the 9th century, San Giacomo dall'Orio is one of the oldest churches in Venice. Its present form - a Latin Cross with a central nave, two aisles and a transept - is the result of a rebuilding project initiated in 1225 and of subsequent modifications carried out in the 15th and 16th century. The great charm of this church lies in a sombre and archaic exterior enclosing an ingeniously articulated interior, which is dominated by the warm presence of wooden beams and wooden ceiling.
Taken from the ChorusVenezia website - click the link to read more and book tickets online.

Show Address Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of San Giobbe

ww.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
The church of San Giobbe owes its foundation to the charitable will of the priest Giovanni Contarini, who in 1378 built a home for poor folk beside an oratory dedicated to Saint Job the Prophet.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of San Giorgio Maggiore

Rating:
(0 votes)
San Giorgio Maggiore is a 16th century Benedictine church on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore opposite Saint Mark's Square. The church was designed by Andrea Palladio and built between 1566 and 1610. It is possible to go up the bell tower which gives you a wonderful view of the city and the lagoon. Entry to the church is free. Entry to the bell tower is 6 Euros (4 Euros for residents).

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Tripadvisor Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of San Giovanni Elemosinario

ww.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
The church of San Giovanni Elemosinario was founded before 1051, but nothing remains of the original building as there was a terrible fire in 1514 which destroyed the Rialto area. Following this disastrous event, during which many buildings were destroyed and huge quantities of goods lost, the reconstruction of the church was probably commissioned to Antonio Abbondi called Scarpagnino, who completed it before 1531, while he was taking care of rebuilding the whole market area. The present building is completely incorporated into its dense urban setting, making its recognition difficult.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of San Martino

Rating:
(0 votes)
The Church of Saint Martin dates from the tenth century (936) but was completely rebuilt in the sixteenth century from designs by Jacopo Sansovino. The architect turned the entire structure by 90 degrees and gave it a square floor-plan, adding two chapels on each side and a new building to the side of the church became the Scuola di San Martin - School of Saint Martin. Venice has a special tie to Saint Martin as the Scuola once housed the Devotional School of Saint Martin (1335-1771) which owned relics of his finger, tibia and a piece of the cloak. The tibia was given to the Scuola di San Giovanni Evangelista in 1441 in return for restoration work to the church and every year on the 11th of November the relic was carried in a solemn procession from the Scuola di San Giovanni Evangelista to the Church of Saint Martin. This tradition ended with the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797.

Show Opening Times Show Address Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of San Pietro di Castello

ww.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
This is the site of the oldest church in Venice and is found on the island of San Pietro. The Church of San Pietro di Castello played a central role in Venetian history. From 775 to 1451 it was a Diocesan Church under the Patriarchate of Grado, then it became a Cathedral in its own right and the seat of the Patriarch of Venice.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of San Polo

www.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
Founded in the 9th century, the Church of San Polo then underwent two important restructuring projects which altered the original Byzantine appearance of the building (the two column-bearing lions at the base of the nearby bell-tower were probably part of this original structure). The first major work on the church took place in the 15th century, and the late Gothic additions made at that time include the fine portal attributed to Bartolomeo Bon. The second refurbishment took place in 1804, when Davide Rossi effectively turned the church into a neo-classical building. Extensive restoration has recently revealed the Gothic survivors within this neo-classical super-structure: these include the wooden ceiling, the apsed presbytery and the single light windows on the facade (part of the 9th-century church).

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of San Sebastiano

ww.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
The Church of San Sebastiano is a true centre of Venetian art, conserving as it does, an extraordinary body of works by Paolo Caliari, better known as Veronese. The confraternity of the Gerolimine fathers founded the church in the 15th century, and then in 1506 a series of alterations gave the building its present appearance: a single-nave interior preceded by an atrium and raised choir and culminating in an apsidal presbytery under a cupola.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of San Zaccaria

Rating:
(0 votes)
San Zaccaria or Saint Zachary or Zachariah or Zechariah or Zacharias was the father of John the Baptist. His body was given to the city of Venice and is now housed in this church. It is worth having a look at the crypt if you are able to - always flooded but impressive.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Tripadvisor Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of Sant'Alvise

www.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
A visit to the Church of Sant'Alvise and the nearby church of Madonna dell'Orto offers you a chance to get to know the real Venice and to enjoy the silences of the lagoon in one of the remotest areas of Cannaregio, which was gradually built up on regular lots of reclaimed land. Originally a convent church, Sant'Alvise was, according to tradition, commissioned in honour of St. Louis of Toulouse by the Venetian noblewoman Antonia Venier in 1388 after the saint had appeared to her in a dream.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli

ww.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
Known within the city simply as "dei Miracoli", this is one of the most beautiful churches in the city. The church was built between 1481 and 1489 upon commission of Angelo Amadi, who intended it to hold an image of the Virgin and Child and Two Saints in his possession - an image which, after Pope Sextus IV's declaration of the Cult of the Immaculate Conception, had been declared miraculous.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of Santa Maria del Giglio

www.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
This ancient church was founded in the 9th century, but the present building is the result of reconstructing during the second half of the 17th century. The work of Giuseppe Sardi, the church façade is one of the most original and imaginative expressions of Baroque art in Venice and forms one large monument to the Barbaro Family, comprising portrait statues of the five brothers and relief maps of the various places in which Antonio Barbaro served the Venetian Republic.
Taken from the ChorusVenezia website - click the link to read more and book tickets online.

Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of Santa Maria Formosa

ww.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
The Church of Santa Maria Formosa built in 1492, is Mauro Codussi's architectural masterpiece and marks the introduction into Venice of the full spatial vision embodied in the Tuscan Renaissance.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of Santi Apostoli

Rating:
(0 votes)
One of the oldest churches in the city. Free entry.

Show Address Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of Santo Stefano

ww.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
After the Frari and the Church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo, Santo Stefano is the third largest monastery church in Venice.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of the Madonna dell'Orto

www.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
Flanked by the old Scuola dei Mercanti, this monumental church stands on the far northern edge of the Sestiere of Cannaregio in a churchyard that still maintains its original paving of brick laid out in a herring-bone pattern within Istrian stone divisions. Originally built in the 14th century, the structure was heavily modified in the 15th and owes its name to a miraculous statue of the Virgin and Child - now in the San Mauro Chapel - which was found in a nearby garden (orto); in fact, the church is officially dedicated to St. Christopher Martyr.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of the Santissimo Redentore

ww.chorusvenezia.org

Rating:
(0 votes)
The Church of the Redentore is one of the most famous and venerated churches in Venice, and the centrepiece of one of the city's most deeply felt public celebrations (the Feast of the Redentore, on the third Sunday in July). Commissioned by the Senate to honour a vow taken during the terrible plague of 1575-77, the Church was designed by Andrea Palladio and is one of the absolute masterpiece of Renaissance architecture (it was completed after Palladio's death in 1580 by his foreman Antonio da Ponte, who remained totally faithful to the original designs). A typically Palladian composition of broken pediments and half columns united by a horizontal band, the façade has, from a distance, something of the air of a bas-relief.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Church of the Scalzi - Santa Maria di Nazareth

Rating:
(0 votes)
This is an impressive Longhena church next to the railway station. It is free entry.

Show Address Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Le Eremite

www.churchesofvenice.co.uk

Rating:
(0 votes)
Built in 1693-94 by Giovanni Battista Lambranzini for Augustinian nuns. Restored in late 90s by Venice in Peril as the church had suffered severely from damp.

Show Opening Times Show on Map

Website Comment Bookmark It More Details

Ognissanti Church

Rating:
(0 votes)
Ognissanti (All Saints) is a Catholic church in the Dorsoduro area of Venice.

Show on Map

Comment Bookmark It More Details

> >|

Add A Link





Have a question or comment?
comments powered by Disqus


© 2008 - 2018 VeniceEmpire. Terms of Use